We are looking for a talented, passionate individual to join the board as our new Finance Trustee.
Purpose: To help our charity reach the next stage of our journey, with the skills, knowledge and expertise to help drive the organisation forward, shaping our strategy for the future as we aim for outstanding performance in all that we do.
Commitment: Six Trustee meetings a year, plus some time outside of the meetings completing trustee duties.
Role and responsibilities
As Finance Trustee, the post-holder ensures the Board is legally accountable for the management of finances of the charity and along with other Board members oversees the governance, strategy and performance of the charity and its associated operations.
Overall the core of the Finance Trustee’s responsibilities are to maintain an overview of the Charity’s financial position and of the conduct of its financial affairs such that they can and do give well grounded advice to the Board of Trustees and CEO.
Things we're looking for
- Review and recommend current and future strategic resourcing, training and development and annual budgets and plans to the Trustee Board.
- Actively contribute to policy setting, strategic direction, goal and target setting, and evaluate performance against targets, budgets, plans and charitable objectives.
- Ensure the Trustee Board monitors and reviews the performance of the company’s Chief Executive, rewards performance accordingly and identifies appropriate development opportunities.
- Monitor the financial position of the charity and its operations within its means and objectives, making sure that there are clear lines of accountability for day-to-day financial management.
- Monitor whether the service complies with its governing document and standards and if the needs of the beneficiaries are being met.
- Undertake an organisational induction with the CEO, and commit to regular engagement with the wider Hope Team where appropriate.
- Receive and report to the Board of Trustees on Budgets, Accounts and Financial Statements.
- Assure the Board that the financial resources of Hope meet its present and future needs.
- Ensure the charity has appropriate policies for reserves and investments.
- Ensure that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place.
- Oversee the preparation and examination of accounts so that they are prepared and examined in the requisite manner and advise the Trustee Board if they cannot give such assurances.
- Liaise with the Operations Manager and CEO about financial matters.
- Present the accounts at the AGM, drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way.
- Ensure that there is no conflict between any investment held and the aims and objects of the charity.
- Monitor Hope’s investment activity and ensure its consistency with Hope’s policies and legal responsibilities.
- Ensure Hope’s compliance with legislation.
- Ensure equipment and assets are adequately maintained and insured.
- Demonstrable financial expertise.
- Willingness and ability to devote the necessary time and effort to meet the duties and responsibilities of the post.
- Strategic vision.
- Good, independent judgement.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to speak your mind with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Commitment to, and willingness to work in accordance with, Hope’s principles, values and standards.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
For the role you will have a proven, professional track record of leadership at the highest level. You will share our vision and aim to take a leading role in our ambition to be recognised as an outstanding organisation. Ideally, you will have experience of corporate and charity governance and working with, or as part of, a Board.
How to apply
To apply, please download the application pack here: download the pack. Once you've had a look through and you feel ready, then come back to this page and use the form below to send in your application!.
Legal and compliance information
Volunteers for this role may require a DBS (formerly, CRB) check. A criminal record will not necessarily be a bar to volunteering with Hope Support Services. We will arrange the check and there will be no cost to you.